Thursday, November 4, 2010

Up on the Roof . . .

Instead of "up on the roof", this week's post is all about getting "under roof". ..after all, it is the first of November and we want to be under roof before the bad weather sets in!  Although I am not sure what you call the weather we had last Wednesday when we were awaken at 6am with tornado sirens blasting and a man on a bull horn driving around the neighborhoods shouting for us to get to a safe place NOW!  You should have seen me grabbing my pillow, a book and my knitting getting ready to "hunker" down for the day. Too funny. Let's see ? Tornada warnings or 36+inches of snow? Go figure. It rained almost all day and we were under tornado watches for most of the day. So needless to say, there was no work on the lake that day. Thursday morning the sun was back out and the crew was on site again making up for loss time. They worked the rest of the week and all day Saturday to make up for the lost day. We stayed away this past week as the the nail guns were working fast and furious and one never knows when a stray nail might fly across the area. But alas! the gables got up and the roof started going on.  This was what we saw on Sunday afternoon.
This photo was taken on Sunday.

If you can tell from my photo, the roof is almost on the garage. . .what you can't see is the floor in the craft room is in! It didn't take any time for me to climb up a ladder that was close by (the stairway wasn't in yet) and check it out!
    For the last two Sundays that we have been on the lake the weather has been wonderful.  I wish I could explain just how glorious the fall leaves are and how beautiful the lake is at this time of year. .  . you will just have to take my word for it. The lake is almost private at this time of year as most of the "summer" lake dewellers have packed it in and the "full timers" have the run of the lakes. Sure makes us wish we had "baby boat" here. Both of these days people drive by in their boats to check on our progress, wave and several have stopped by and asked for a tour.  This, of course, delights us as we get to walk through it one more time!
    We have made some adjustments to the original plans as I might have mentioned.  We decided to knock out one wall, which took away a small room, but  I gained a double size laundry room. We also took out a small closet to make more room in the powder room and pantry, lengthened a wall or two and lowered some windows for an even better view. We were told, this was the time to do it. 
This was a big decision making week. Monday we picked out the brick, stone, house color and roof color all in one day! We are to meet with the cabinet man soon to decide on kitchen layout so I have been busy with graph paper, pencil....and eraser to see if I can come up with the layout that will work best for me. I have pretty much picked out my appliances. When we were renovating the kitchen in Vienna we had the opportunity to really look at appliances for there as well as for this new house. Now I just need to see where to put them!  I did take a day off  on Wednesday to join some friends from The Ridge to go to a  very large craft show in Birmingham. (Heaven, I'm in heaven. .) It was not only a great show, it was so much fun sharing it with my new friends. When we finally went on site Thursday to see the progress, I was so amazed at what all has been accompolished along with getting the roof on!  But first here is my house with a roof on it!


These photos were taken on Thursday.


  (I hope you click on them to really get a good view). The second view is taken from the road approaching the house . . seeing the garage side first. They put a steel beam down the center of the garage this week mainly to shure up the floor for the bonus room. It's a great size garage and lots of room for a work bench and a closet to hide stuff in! The stairs that go up to the bonus room are now in!  (Since I have now decided to share this space with H, so he could have his very own "Hidey Hole", I can no longer refer to this as MY craftroom)  All he asked for was a window but I insisted he have a wall and a door. What a guy! In a future post I will share with you how this room will be divided and used. Any ideas what to call it now? Meanwhile here are the stairs.

H took the camera and walked down by the lake to take pictures of the house from that view. The deck has been built and we were able to see how much of it will be under roof. We are so excited about this and I am sure it will be put to good use. (Note to self: start looking for rocking chairs to line the porch).
Can't you just see ceiling fans, rocking chairs and mint juleps?

Here are some views H took looking up toward the main level. In the left photo the projection you see coming out from the kitchen is the screened porch. The small window on top is where the kitchen sink will be and the two "door like" windows are in the morning room (solid glass)  located just before you walk onto the screened porch. I plan on having my morning coffee there :)

The right photo is an additional view taken from the other side to show the terrace underneath the main level deck.  The top floor is the master bedroom and the lower level is a guest room. Any takers?

Blog side note: We will be taking a long weekend starting tomorrow to visit family in Memphis. We will return on Monday when I'm sure I will have a lot more to show you....that is, if the weather cooperates and stays as it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment