Thursday, March 31, 2011

Everything is Beautiful. . .

     Each time we go to the house now, another element to making our home has been added, completed or is being installed! And with each addition, completion or  installation, I get more and more excited. Excited (one) because we are almost there and (two) all these months of selections and decisions are  really paying
off. . . in our favor! Everything is beautiful!
     We took a little road trip this past week to Memphis and were not able to go to the house for five days. As exciting as seeing all the things going on at the house, it was equally as exciting to see the family in Memphis and visit with them for a few days. Liz was able to join us from Atlanta and Grandma had all her grandchildren there at the same time which is getting harder and harder to do as they are out and about living their lives. It was a wonderful few days with family, and of course, we made time to go to the Rendevous for a "pig platta" and some ribs!
     When we went to the house on Tuesday, not only were there trucks everywhere (which made us have to park at our neighbors) there were "subs" all over the place working inside and outside the house. I knew there had been a lot going on in those few days but it was unreal how fast things are happening now! My first clue was seeing the columns being constructed for the front of the house. Believe me, these photos do not do them justice, especially when it come to their size. Here is the first stage. . . and don't worry they will be painted white and they will look beautiful!



     As I walked inside the house (through the garage) the first room I saw was the laundry room. I have added a photo that was on my last post of the laundry room floor to help you see how this room  is coming together. Anyone know where I can find some big baskets for my shelves?

     For all of you who tried to talk me out of getting black countertops, I do appreciate and thank you for your advice and it is duly noted that it will show the dust and lint, but aren't they beautiful?
    From the laundry room, back out in the hallway, we realized the stair rail and bannisters have been installed!  I can't tell you how much easier it is getting downstairs having something to hold on to. . . for me at least! I can already see my garland draped over this at Christmas time. I think that will look beautiful!

     Downstairs, we were so surprised to see that the stone fireplace had been completed! H had told me the mantle was in place before we left for Memphis. It actually wraps around the wall on both sides but this photo doesn't show it. The stone is actually left over from the front of the house and we were hoping there would be enough to do this fireplace. We think it turned out beautiful! 

                                             
The great room mantle and bookcases are coming tomorrow and I can't wait to see how the cabinet maker interpeted my drawings.  You will have to wait, like me, until they are in to see if they turned out beautiful.

 Back upstairs in the kitchen the vent hood  has been extended towards the ceiling. There will be crown moulding around the top to complete it.

Across the room, the bar has a new addition. The wine rack has been installed to complete the cabinetry that makes it a bar. It has been wired in case we some day may want to add a wine and beverage cooler. Our electrician, Mike, covered all our bases! I can't wait until the granite for the counters, island and bar go on then the backsplash!  Now won't that look beautiful?

            I apologize for the quality of this picture. I promise to take a better one when the granite goes on and the back splash is done.

    Outside there is alot going on as well. The screened porch now has tile. Doesn't this view look like we are hanging out over the lake?  Won't that look beautiful? 
   The deck has almost been completed. oops! They ran out of tile! Unfortunately, the rain this week has made the slope down to the house quite muddy and the trucks that will deliver the rest of the tile and granite were unable to unload.  Word is, they will be delivered tomorrow.

    Meanwhile the Alabama Power Company came to the site today to dig the trench to install the wiring for our electricity! Yeah! We will soon have light! Boo! Look at the mess they are making. There is also a huge hole in the road that had to be dug up because whoever paved the road covered up the underground cable that they need to hook up to. Now that's NOT beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment