Thursday, October 14, 2010

I Can See Clearly Now. . .

This is the only song title that came to mind when we visited the site today after being away for over a week!  I have been waiting to be able to say, now "I can see" where things (rooms) will be and this is "clearly "a step in that direction! Our first view as we walked down the driveway was this one of the garage.  The floor was framed and it had the rebar and wire laid. . .waiting, just waiting.


     As we got closer to the property  the big concrete trucks were lined up and ready for the pouring.


      Today we had three concrete trucks while we were on site pouring the foundation but I understand there had been five truck loads on a previous day pouring the footers and walls.  The builder told us how many "yards" that translated into, was but it meant nothing to me.  Then he told me the price and that gave me more of a idea.$$$$
     As we walked down to the house, it was so exciting to see the floor of the lower level was being poured and there was no more doubt anymore about the size of that room! We were mesmerized as we just stood there watching this floor grow and grow.  The room that seems to be sticking way out on the right size is Rosanne's room (she has decided to move in and not be a guest  :) Remember the screened room is over that  room and will actually extend beyond.  It will be almost like it is hanging over the water! The patio will be out beyond the walls or edge of these floors and the yard will be beyond that.  What you don't see is about ten or more feet that is on the other side of the silt fence. . . you may have seen the silt fence in other photos.


     All the little "tubes" sticking out of the floor were put there by the plumber on Monday.  It was a good thing he had to come back on Tuesday because while in Reston, visiting good friends (who happen to be my daughter's in-laws) I remembered that I wanted to put a stackable washer and dryer in the lower level for guests. The plumber needed to know this in order to put in a drain pipe. Whew! That was close. We did get this taken care of before in ended up in the "cost over runs" column! Otherwise, I would be slepping all those bed linens upstairs to the laundry room!

      After the entire floor was poured they began buffing it out because the cement had already set and could be walked on. (I would have pictures of that but the batteries went dead on my camera) After this floor was poured and while it was being buffed, they began pouring the floor of the garage.Yea! Meanwhile I walked back up the driveway and down the road to where the car was parked to get new batteries and missed the pouring. . . but when I got back. . . Whoa! Baby! The garage had been poured!



  The most thrilling part of this was now I can see the size of MY craft room! Seeing this really gave me a jolt because up until now all I knew was it was more that 400 square feet. Now y'all know what they say about girls and math . . . and I am no exception when it comes to figuring square footage. . .but you give me a visual, I'm all about that! I  do realize there will be walls, a powder room and such, but this still is my dream come true! 
     Our builder left us to go meet with the man at the lumber yard. He wants the lumber delivered on Monday because they will start "framing" on Tuesday.  Bet you can't wait until my post next week!


2 comments:

  1. yay! can't wait to see the walls framed (or to get in that crafting room)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The down stair dryer is a good idea. I just hope it won't take too much space out of Grandma's room. It would be sad if some of her furniture doesn't fit!
    This time next week you will probably have all of the framing up. What fun!
    RHA

    ReplyDelete