Wednesday, October 20, 2010

If I Had a Hammer. . .

I broke out singing this song as we got to the site today! Can you see why?
Our neighbors on The Ridge had told us they thought they heard hammers in the distance. . . and they were not mistaken. Today is Wednesday, the lumber was delivered on Monday and the framing began yesterday! Yes! Yesterday. The entire lower level was just about framed out  before we left this morning. We had been told this was the next phase, but I really needed to see it for myself.  This was a beautiful fall morning on The Ridge, and I cannot express what I was feeling when I saw this view from the top of the road. I must admit it brought tears to my eyes.  As we walked down the driveway closer and closer to the site, it really dawned on me, this is our house and we will be living here by spring of next year!
As we stood there with Dennis, our builder, soaking it all in. . . once again it seemed smaller to me than I thought. I couldn't wait to be able to walk down on the floor and get the  true "feel" of the size of each space.  But first, we had several things to go over with Dennis regarding the plans. He had set up a place for us on the garage slab so we could see the plans and discuss some changes. H and I had spent quite a few hours looking at all the details of our house plans on Monday and Tuesday and we had made lists of things we wanted to discuss with him. He, too, had some questions for us.









Did I mention how pleased we are with our builder? He is on the site EVERYDAY and is constantly working on our house, in is mind and on paper!  He wants us to be as involved with this process as he is and gives us every opportunity to do so. We have been blessed and thank Jane and Ralph every time we meet with him, for setting up our first meeting with him three years ago. Each day we are more and more convinced that he is the right builder for our home. As the morning progressed and plans were changed or confirmed. . . the framing continued.

 Dennis dragged up a couple of concrete blocks for me to sit on as I once again found myself mesmerized, this time, watching all the wood become walls and walls become rooms.  I couldn't help but think of  the five summers I spent working for Habitat for Humanity when I would watch the faces of the homeowners as they added their "sweat equity" to their dream homes. I found myself wishing I could see my own face as I watched my home being built. I can only imagine.  It also reminded me, when on the site of  a Habitat house one year, a worker said to me, "All tools are hammers, except a chisel. . . it's a screwdriver!" (Thought I'd share that bit of building humor.)
Finally we were able to walk down and onto the floor of the lower level. See the four windows overlooking the lake? The door to go out onto the terrace is on the far right. We placed the furniture (in our minds) in this great room and visualized the TV over the fireplace (I can't visualize the fireplace yet but H said he could visualize the TV :)  We saw where the game table and wetbar would go.We went into each room on this level, saw all the closets, bathrooms, and bedrooms. As we went into each room, I was able to visualize where all the beds would go, and where all the other furniture would be placed.  There is a ton of storage down there! I had wished for a room large enough to "roll" a pre lit Christmas tree and boy can I do that! H even has his own storage area for his boxes and today we even created a cedar lined closet which had not been thought of!  
Dennis said that by the end of the week, the main level will be built and the walls would be framed and that would really give us an idea of the size of everything. He said the eighteen foot ceilings in the great room would blow me away. I can't wait!
Meanwhile our job this weekend is to pick out appliances for the kitchen. Not purchase them, but at least get model numbers. This is the one room where we are really changing the plans and in order to do this, we need to know sizes of the major appliances for us to see where they (as well as cabinets) would go. While we are looking, Dennis said we might as well look at doors and hardware.  We have made the decision on windows already. Since we need to go to one of the two big cities that flank us to do this, I told H that I would treat him to his birthday dinner out! (He'll be paying, of course!)

BLOG SIDE NOTE: Saturday is one of the two clean-up days on  Lake Mitchell. H will join others from The Ridge on their boats to participate in this clean up even thought we are not living on the lake yet. Last Saturday, he joined  Ralph on the U of A campus for the Alabama vs Ole Miss game. I am keeping busy by setting up a card ministry for our new church. I, after 12 years, finally became a Stampin' Up demonstrator and I have finally found a way my love of paper crafts and card making can make a difference!

1 comment: