Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Green, Green Grass of Home. . .

     I can hardly believe it and couldn't wait to share, but we finally have grass! We also have a few plantings, some knock-out roses and tons of pine straw (Alabama mulch). As I mentioned earlier, the landscape will be a work in progress. Our top priority was drainage, cover the red dirt and set up a watering system. All the above objectives, have been met. There is still a little more sod and pine straw to be laid but all and all, we are pleased with our "instant lawn". Looks great from the lake. SEE!


     Today when we put the numbers on our new mailbox, I took a photo to show you the plantings on either side of the front porch. We plan on doing more landscaping on the hill running down the side of the driveway but not quite yet. I would love to add hydrangeas and then we hope to add some steps down the slope to work with the natural-ness of the hillside landscape. (Another day, another dollar.)

     Unpacking boxes and finding a place for everything is still an ongoing project and since we have all the time in the world. . .we are doing it at our pace! We were able to take a break this Memorial weekend and share some time with the Masons and their family. We found ourselves floating on an eight seat Relaxation Station with a Corona in our hand for most of the day, then a traditional burger with all the fixins' and then we ended the day with a sunset boat ride. Now that's what I call lake living!  Hopefully by the time our family starts visiting next month they can relax like that at our place. And, oh yeah! We are definitely buying our own Relaxation Station next week!
     The sofa and one of the beds are going to their respectful fixer-upers this week and then the wing back chairs will be next. The club chair and ottoman ordered for me is, you guessed it, not due until early June. My great room consists of my new beautiful rug, two chocolate leather recliners, 80’s style upholstered furniture and a 65” TV. And if you are wondering why I am holding off sending photos of rooms and their décor? It is because there is not a room completed! I have, however, lined the shelves and drawers and have most items in their new homes and I have almost ALL the glasses washed and displayed in their designated (upper or lower level) bars. The china has been washed and some tucked away in the china hutch but there is a lot of tarnished silver to be polished yet. I am stuffing food and cooking items, small appliances, serving pieces, cook books, recipe box and pyrex casserole dishes in the pantry just waiting for the day when I can’t get in there anymore without tripping to organize it. Don’t get me started on what has been stored in my beautiful laundry room without my knowledge. There was NO mention of tools, lighbulbs, extention cords etc. laying all over my counter when I was planning that room, was there?

    We are still struggling with getting the internet stabalized in our home and until then, my blogs will be short and sweet (Bet y'all are glad to hear that).

1 comment: